HARDWOOD VS. LAMINATE
Whether you are considering hardwood or laminate for your new washroom, bedroom, office or even your new home, both flooring types can have their pros and cons.
As a customer unfamiliar with flooring, walking into a store might be overwhelming and you may be confused at what exactly it is you’re looking at. Hardwood? Laminate? or maybe it’s…Vinyl?
These may be questions picking at your head while making your next flooring decision but have no fear because here is everything you need to know about hardwood and laminate.
Laminate is a multi layer synthetic flooring that is designed to imitate the look of hardwood or stone and this is where the phrase “Looks can be deceiving” comes in play. Laminate may look like the real thing but it’s not. However, it’s as close as it gets if you can’t afford the real thing and has many benefits. Laminate is made up of layers of fiberboard with a photographic layer placed on top. Now let’s take a closer look at the PROS and CONS of Laminate.
- Laminate is easy to maintain and clean. Spills and stains can be wiped away in a second.
- Laminate consists of an excess layer that protects the photographic layer and this makes it near to impossible for laminate to dent or be scratched.
- Laminate can create a look of hardwood and stone if that’s the look you are going for.
- Laminate is fairly easy to install.
- Laminate is very cost efficient.
- Laminate can last up to years if properly taken care of.
- Excessive water can seep into the seams of the boards but this isn’t a problem as long as the laminate floor aren’t in the kitchen or bathroom.
- Laminate cannot be refinished if damaged, planks must be replaced.
- Laminate might create the look of real wood but…it’s not
Hardwood is the real deal, no plywood, no fiberboard, just pure 100% solid wood.
There are many types of hardwood floors as well as hardwood flooring comes in many colors and lengths.
- Hardwood has an attractive and classy look which enhances the look of almost any room.
- Hardwood also known as… “Wood that’ll last a lifetime”. Hardwood is your friend to stay as long as you be nice.
- If scratched or dented there’s no need to worry as Hardwood can be sanded and refinished.
- Hardwood can also increases a house’s resale value.
- Hardwood is also easy to maintain and clean as it doesn’t trap dust.
- Hardwood can be a bit pricey but if you’re looking for durability then it’s definitely worth it.
- Hardwood is prone to leakages so spills need to be wiped up fast.
- If not taken care of properly will require tons of refinishing.
- If not properly installed on an even surface can be a bit noisy.
As you can see both Laminate and Hardwood can have advantages and disadvantages as all flooring does. However, depending on your flooring needs one might be a better option than the other.